Tuesday 28 April 2009

Instructions on buying a piece of fruit



This blog will begin as a rehash of previous emails sent to my friends about my travels, and will continue as a potentially dull self centred splurging of information.

Hello all, I have realised this will be the quickest and easiest way to contact y'all and keep you updated on my travels. I first intended for the list to be quite small but as I continued adding people it became huge. I have even included a few people I don't really like anymore, for example Pickles*. I will be sending out personalised emails too, so don't worry mum, if I narrowly escape being murdered by Mexican drug dealers you will be informed. If I am killed the email or phone call will come from someone else, obviously.

John and I are leaving Portland today. Earlier on we bought a small tape player so we can listen to good music (by good music I mean the best tapes Portland Goodwill could offer, which happily included the Beat Street soundtrack). The Pontiac has two CD players, neither of which work. In fact, there are many small problems with the car. I will list them:

- The Cd players dont work
- When left to it's own devices it veers to the right (if only gradually)
- When you slam the driver's side door the window winder flies off inside the car. This is always comical and endearing.
- The horn doesn't work
- The brakes are 'spongy' and, according to a mechanic, in 3-5,000 miles will be 'metal on metal'. Worrying.
- The clock is an hour and 20 minutes fast and seemingly impossible to adjust. It's surprising how quickly your brain can adjust to this however.
- There are only two settings for the windscreen wipers: fast and extremely fast. When you tell them to stop they stop dead wherever they happen to be.
- The steering wheel feels loose and is at it's lowest setting so that it rubs your legs. If you try and adjust it upwards it becomes alarmingly loose.

I will stop there, it's not that interesting. Today we are going to get on the Interstate freeway 101 which will take us south along the Oregon coast, a reportedly very pretty stretch. The gigantic box of cereal bars in the boot is holding up well. It transpires they are nearly all nutrigrain bars. It is mildly amusing to analyse the slight adjustments in wrapper design, font etc., between dates '05-'09, yet it is only a matter of time before the mere sight of a nutrigrain bar sends a wave of nausea to my very core. A tent and sleeping bags were also acquired in Portland (thanks to Madeline/Goodwill) and so we have all we really need. I hope to write these emails fairly regularly, unless nothing really interesting happens. Feel free to email back, or send these straight to your junk folder. I will never know.

tschuss, Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment